Much of what has been previously written and said about ADHD has been misguided, inaccurate, and sometimes downright cruel and although matters have improved and now most stories are not only positive but are also beneficial, we are still going to reserve the right to only work with journalists, writers, and broadcasters who can demonstrate that they do the following:
1. At all times upholds and defends the principle of media freedom, the right of freedom of expression and the right of the public to be informed.
2. Strives to ensure that information disseminated is honestly conveyed, accurate and fair
3. Does her or his utmost to correct harmful inaccuracies
4. Differentiates between fact and opinion
5. Obtains material by honest, straightforward and open means, with the exception of investigations that are both overwhelmingly in the public interest and which involve evidence that cannot be obtained by straightforward means.
6. Does nothing to intrude into anybody’s private life, grief or distress unless justified by overriding consideration of the public interest
7. Protects the identity of sources who supply information in confidence and material gathered in the course of her/his work.
8. Resists threats or any other inducements to influence, distort or suppress information and takes no unfair personal advantage of information gained in the course of her/his duties before the information is public knowledge.
9. Produces no material likely to lead to hatred or discrimination on the grounds of a person’s age, gender, race, colour, creed, legal status, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation
10. Does not by way of statement, voice or appearance endorse by advertisement any commercial product or service save for the promotion of her/his own work or of the medium by which she/he is employed.
11. A journalist shall normally seek the consent of an appropriate adult when interviewing or photographing a child for a story about her/his welfare.
12. Avoids plagiarism.
The Code of Conduct is available from the website of the National Union of Journalists (accessed 11/5/2017)
Our media work is helping us to change perceptions and raise awareness about ADHD and related support services. Please contact us on email@example.com.
Review date: 11/05/2017
Next review due: 12/05/2018